Moving Our Furry Friends
Moving with pets can definitely take a little extra consideration. Making sure your pets are prepared and safe during the move is a big priority for many. Check out our great tips!
Tips for Moving with Pets
- Hire a Sitter – Much like moving with kiddos, having someone to watch your pets during the big move is ideal. Instead of keeping your pets locked up, enlist the help of a friend or send them to a boarding facility or doggy day care for the day of the move. Having movers in and out can be stressful, and there is always the risk your four legged friend could sneak out the door.
- Put Technology to Work – Using either your electric fence, pet GPS tags or microchip, having technology on your side can making moving with pets easier. In the event that your furry friend escapes, having a way to track and find them can be a safe option. Plus, this is a great way to keep your pets safe at your new place until they become familiar.
- Introductions – Take your pets to the new place ahead of time if possible. Let them check out the scents and keep them contained to an area of the home if necessary. Not all pets will react the same, so pets that are having a difficult time may take some extra TLC. Take extra care to make sure your four legged friends are curious and marking in the new place.
- Get All Your Records – If you’re moving out of town and won’t be using the same veterinary office, get copies of all pet records. Don’t forget any medication refills too!
- Pack a Go Bag – This can be medicine, dog food, toys, comfort items, cage, leashes, etc. Anything Fido or Fefe would need in the new place.
- Update Contact Info – Once you get where you’re going, don’t forget to update your contact information! From vet records to microchip databases, dog and cat tags, etc.
Moving with pets can take a little extra consideration, but overall your four legged friend typically only cares about you and your family! Keeping them safe and healthy during the transition is essential, and most pets will settle into their new digs quickly. Keep in mind, movers cannot transport your pets! If you are moving you must be able to transport your furry friends by car or plane.