1 Step 1
Preparing to move out or to another apartment? Use our handy apartment moving checklist to properly prepare for your upcoming move.
2 Months Before Your Move
- Find and review your lease agreement. Prepare to discuss your move-out arrangements with your rental office.
- Work with your new leasing office to prepare your move-in arrangements.
- Research a capable moving company like Moving Ahead Services. Ask questions and be thorough to ensure that they are the right moving company for your needs.
- If you’re moving to a different state or long distance, be sure to plan out your trip such as pit stops and driving breaks!
- Prepare a list of people and companies that you’ll need to update with your new address.
One Month Before Your Move
- Prepare a list of items you’d like to move, and devise a game plan for the items you are not bringing with you. If you need junk removal, be sure to ask your moving company if they offer this service.
- Repair damages to your apartment, and create a list of items or areas that will need cleaning before or after your move.
- Check with the city government and utility companies to ensure a smooth transition in billing.
- Contact your insurance company and let them know you will be moving. Work with them to get your new apartment insured.
- If you have kids or pets, make sure you have a plan for them on moving day.
Two Weeks Before Your Move
- Organize your groceries and try to stop buying in bulk. Pantry items can add up, and you don’t want to risk food going bad during your move. If you have too much food, you can always donate to great charity programs such as Move For Hunger.
- Finalize the transfer of your utilities. Call all companies to ensure that they have the correct turn-off/turn-on dates.
- Start boxing up items that you do not plan on using in the next two weeks. We recommend that you separate the boxes and label everything!
- Submit your change of address with USPS mail service.
- Research your neighborhood! Start researching doctors, hospitals, schools, public services, and places you’d like to see and try!
One Week Before Your Apartment Move
- Keep packing! Just a reminder to label all boxes and organize your boxes for an easier unpack.
- Prepare your essentials. Be sure to include any hygiene, tools, and must-haves for your relocation.
- Designate a spot to store your packed boxes.
- Withdraw cash to have on hand for your move day. If your movers work hard, you’ll want to tip them. It’s also a good idea to have some loose cash for your long-distance move.
- Check with your Movers to ensure that everything is planned and scheduled correctly.
- If you need to disassemble furniture, be sure to keep all hardware together and label it.
- Set aside bottles of water and snacks for yourself.
- Walkthrough your inventory of items, and work with the movers to understand
- Before leaving your apartment, make one thorough sweep to ensure nothing is left behind.
- When arriving at your new apartment, make sure to do a thorough sweep before the movers start unloading.
- Remember to work with the movers to eliminate extra moving on your part. Be ready to advise the movers where you’d like your items unloaded.
- Check your apartment for functional smoke and carbon detectors. Be sure to reach out to management if you cannot find these.
- Disinfect your new place, and especially the fridge!
- Take inventory of all items, and note anything that may have occurred damages.
- Check the moving truck, and all items prior to signing any paperwork with the movers.
- If everything is complete, be sure to pay the movers, and tip them too!