Moving Your Electronics in Cold Weather
Most people do not think twice about moving their electronics in the winter. After all, there are enough things to stress over when moving is concerned. However, regardless if you are moving across town or to the other side of the country, you should know that your electronics can be ruined by cold temperatures.
Some assume that their electronics will be fine since they are hiring movers and their electronics will be inside a moving truck rather than exposed to the elements in the back of their pickup. Yes, it is recommended to avoid letting any moisture touch the electronics, but freezing temperatures can be just as damaging.
Moving Ahead Services will prepare your electronics to keep them as safe as possible during transport. Below are a few additional tips to help you throughout your move.
- Refer to your manufacturer’s guide for special moving instructions and temperature care.
- Any item that has an ink or toner cartridge will need it removed. These cartridges should get stored in a sealed plastic bag.
- Remove any Blue rays, CDs, DVDs, or VHS tapes if applicable.
- If you have the original package, it is a good idea to use it. This will keep the electronics from moving around in the box. Otherwise, choose a box just slightly larger than the item.
- Any cables and cords that can be removed should be placed in a bag and in the box with the electronic device it belongs to. If you are moving your 52-inch television without a box, pack your cables with your remote controls and keep them in your essentials box or with other home entertainment items.
- Always use antistatic packing popcorn or bubbles. You never want to use any material that conducts electricity, as it can ruin the item.
If you will be placing your electronics in storage, you will want a unit that is climate-controlled, even if it is only for a few days. These units cost a little more than regular ones, but they are kept at a consistent temperature. Plus, if it is near the end of winter and things will be staying in storage for several months, this will protect against heat and humidity damage as well.