Moving is a big decision, whether you are just selecting a new neighborhood or moving across the country. It’s important to make a sound decision before you sign a lease or close the sale! Unrelated to your actual home or apartment and all related inspections, here are 10 questions to ask before you move.
The other 10 questions to ask before you move
- Time Commitment – This can mean many different things! These can all influence your decision on where to buy / move to.
- Are you leasing? If so, are you OK with the length of the lease in this area?
- Is this a starter home that you plan to re-sell in 3-5 years?
- Is this a permanent home that you will live in for the next 50 years?
- Lifestyle / Proximity – Is your potential new home / new apartment in a location that is conducive to your likes and dislikes? Is it near to businesses, restaurants and attractions you care about? How is your commute? Is it the type of neighborhood you will feel comfortable in?
- Traffic – Spend some time in the area! Is it to high traffic or to low traffic? Did you want a quieter environment or is it a bit isolated? Is there a ton of ambulance, air or truck traffic and noise?
- Neighbors – Neighbors can make or break it! First off, do you want neighbors all around or were you hoping for more privacy? Secondly, try to meet those neighbors or ask the current owners what they’re like!
- Kids – Depending on your answer to question 1, you may want to think of this a few different ways..
- Do you have kids now, and want other kids in the neighborhood?
- Do you not have kids and not want kids around for your 3-5 year plan?
- Do you plan to have kids and raise a family in this house?
- Is the area kid friendly and safe?
- HOA – HOA may or may not be a deal breaker. Do you like rules and uniformity? It may be great for you! If you like to do your own thing and don’t want to be bothered, you may want to avoid buying or renting in a place with a HOA. Check out FYI on HOA.
- Crime – Do some homework on the area. How are the crime ratings, emergency response times and overall vibe of the neighborhood and area? If you’re renting or buying in a community, is there security? Check local police Facebook pages, newspapers and online resources!
- Area Problems – This may be part of your traditional home inspection and research, but there may be issues to factor in that are not necessarily related to your actual home / property.. Issues like water problems and flooding, sewage problems, wood destroying insects and more.
- Taxes & Costs – Obviously taxes are part of any home information, but what about pending changes or potential levies? Is your new area/street going to be mandated to make changes that then impact taxes and ultimately tax value and resale appeal? Ask around and do some sleuthing.
- Commute – See question 2, and consider your hand to include work commute and travel times. Is your new location going to cause serious issues with your commute?
Keep in mind all of the regular due diligence that goes into purchasing a home! Home inspections, closing details and all other considerations should all be taken into the equation before you decide! These 10 questions to ask before you move just take it a step further!
When you’re ready to take the plunge, give us a call! Get a free moving quote, storage, packing supplies and more!